Sunday, March 11, 2007

An early Demise of Aspiration

This is the first post of this blog. Announcing this to you means the premature demise of the hopes I actually cherished for it. These hopes were, in no order of importance:

Anonimity

Credibility

Objectivety

Some sort of favourable reputation

Out the window, just like that. Let's have a look at the reasons why these hopes were shattered, shall we?

Anonimity - by me taking it upon myself to announce to you that this is the very first post of this blog, I have already let you in on who I am too much to truly remain anonymous. I have, by announcing this post, already made you realize I am someone who thinks what he thinks matters to others. Seeing as how you already know I am that kind of a person, I might as well fill in the gaps and tell you some more about who I am.

I am Joep Smeets. I like many things in life, but I enjoy precious little of it as much as football. Considering my possibly unfounded belief in and high opinion of my ability to express my love of it, this means I intend to bother you about football through great lengths. This may lead you to believe I am some obnoxious git with a rather misplaced arrogance, but I hope you'll believe me when I say I am not. I have, in fact, already told you with the title of this blog that I am a very neurotic person.
Example: I fear my ever-increasing use of the word 'have' without any actual knowledge of English grammar. Neurotic Orange, then, refers to a person of neurotic nature with a Dutch passport. Both apply to me. Of course, a blog by someone so deluded by his sense of self-importance could only be named after its author. So bring on the self-consciousness. This is all you need to know about me right now. I'll bother you with some other personal traits later on.

Credibility - I can be very clear on this: I have none. I have no credentials whatsoever when it comes to writing about football. No more than you, in any case, and quite possibly less. So if you read any of this and think "Who the hell does he think he is?", I can tell you right now I won't have a good answer to that question.

Objectivity - Like every opinion ever expressed by a football fan, some horribly crude and others heavenly articulated, my opinions are deeply drenched in bias. I have no problem admitting this, as you would have probably found this out yourselves rather quickly anyways.

Some sort of favourable reputation - Ok, I'll admit it: I still have a slight (again, possibly misplaced) hope for this one. Therefor(e?) I shall go on with this blog. The style isn't really yet what I hope it will be in time, but I'll get to that when I have the time. Meaning I will let somebody else handle it.

As a sign of goodwill, I'll tell you a little about what this blog is going to be like. It doesn't matter that some of you may know me personally, I'll be as honest - and personal - as I'll possibly dare. So if you don't feel like knowing me any better than you already do, I understand. Don't read this. If you do feel you want to see this side of a person like me, and hopefully of more people like me, please do read this, and do comment on it.
It is going to be a place where anyone can write freely about football and their love for it. If you've got something related you feel like sharing but are too lazy to start a blog, send it in. If I think it is any good, I'll gladly post some background on you and your story.

I'll leave this here now and come back to it tomorrow. If I haven't suffered complete embarrassment because of all the above by then, I'll consider posting some more about me and this blog. So please join me, as I slowly track down and brutally kill any of my last remaining aspirations for this blog post by post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be the first one to post!! yey!
I think it's a pretty good idea that you are finally uploading your thoughts, and I hope everyone that reads what you write can feel the real passion you have for football... I know I do! ;) kus... se you in 18 :D