Friday, March 16, 2007

Keep Your Eyes on the Road, Your Hands upon the Wheel

I don’t remember exactly what year it happened. But there was a time when the Fruitella-filled trip in the backseat of my parents’ car to where I was actually going was one of the highlights of the entire vacation. Fights with my sister over pillows, nagging my parents over what music should be played, running around the sunny French or German stops along the route. All of it seemed even better than the two-week stay at some Austrian or French campsite itself. And all of it was always accompanied by the same old tune.

’We zijn er bijna, we zijn er bijna, maar nog niet helemaal’

Which translates to

’We’re almost there, almost there, but not quite yet’


But when I grew up, I didn’t feel like singing it anymore. I wanted to get out of the car as fast as possible. I wanted to be there already and swim. The fact that I was almost there but not quite yet didn’t seem like cause for celebration and singing anymore.

Two years ago, both PSV and AZ crashed out of their respective European competitions in the most dramatic fashion possible. They had been almost there, but not quite yet.

Everyone grows up eventually. PSV and AZ have stopped singing.


Magpies Crash Out in Holland [Skysports]
Gunners Bow Out in Alex Show [Skysports]

2 comments:

Daniel said...

What wonderful results in Europe! How do you think the sides will fare in the next round?

Joep Smeets said...

Two stories:

AZ - the order of the games. They play Werder Bremen, that's bad enough. But they play their first game at home. Against Fener and the Toon, the final legs were played at home. Big difference.

PSV - Alex. Or lack thereof. Anyways, Liverpool is a bit of a one-tempo team. They justly beat my beloved Barca (I'll get to that post tomorrow), but this time they're expected to make the play themselves, rather than sit back and wait. Which means it is a shame they'll be without Luis Garcia. Who drinks Sangria. He came from Barca, to bring them joy. He's 4'7 and football heaven, please don't take their Luis away.

Note how I did not actually answer your question ;)