Saturday, March 24, 2007

Today is about Nothing but Tonight

Today is not a regular day. Today does not happen very often. Today I slept in. That does happen very often. But the rest of today does not. The rest of today I spent waiting. Today has ruined my schedule beyond belief. My schedule of consciously ignoring the fourth-annual academic moment of truth, which approaches rapidly. My schedule of worrying about that job I really want that I may or may not get. My schedule of worrying about that man who will be physically opening my knee in two days to see what is wrong. Today I ignore all the panic that comes with realizing I am considerably behind on all of these schedules.

Today I will walk to the store down the road, like on most other days. I don’t stock up. I never do. So I have to make the trip, because even though today is special, it is not an exception in my daily needs – food, water, chocolate. So the trip has to be made. But it will seem inconsequential. More so than usual. I will make the trip and realize I care less about actually making it than on any other day. This trip is not what I will remember of today. It will pale in comparison.

Today I wait. I wait for friends to trickle into my house. For roommates to return. Just in time. I wait for those close calls. Will they make it? Will they be here in time? They probably will. They will not miss a second. Their trips here will be as necessary as my trip to the store. They have to be here. They refuse to miss a second

Today I received a call. Just now, but I cannot remember about what exactly it was. If anything today is about anything other than today, I will not care. It will not be as important. Like my trip, the call, too, just paled in comparison.

Today is so much more than just another day on the Gregorian calendar. Today is a day on the FIFA calendar. Today my country plays and I will watch, scream and sigh, but maybe not in that order. Today I have to stop writing, because today is not about writing. Today is about nothing but tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kutdag dus